Sunday, January 16, 2011

“No One Killed Jessica"

No One Killed Jessica______________________________


Well had a very argumentative week in office… with whom… well with my friend come manager… Teradata was looking like a “Walk in the Park” for me until this year end…

I was oh so proud when my manager assigned me to this new project…. Out of 30 + team just 2 people were selected for this new project… I was on the top of the world… But little did I sense the upcoming thunder…My new project was indeed driving me nuts… late night sittings had started since Jan… I know… what a start to the new year… Laga initial phase of the proj demands late nite sittings…. But ghanti tab baji when one nite I came home at mid night… and in my sleep all night… all I could see was Project issues… sleepless nights mannn… tab laga…. Bahut hogaya…

For 2 weeks I had not attended any personal calls… had not spoken to my parents and bro… I was like what the heck… this cant go on… aisa hi karna tha tho I would have stayed back in LnT…

As always I thought time for some revolution now… when the client is demanding a team of 10+ then why are just 2 people working… I called upon a meeting with my manager this week, and told her…

“Why don’t we hire donkeys for this work… there is no innovation being done…. We are not getting any growth be it functional or technical… yeah but the resources are getting burned down in the very start of the project… if this goes on… I back off from this project… I cant work in a project that is nothing but a mess… and not well planned… and with the resource count you are giving me I don’t commit to any deliverables from my end”

I thought the manager will be angry… But guess what… she smiled… and said…

 “This is what I love about you… you are just so straight forward, and u don’t make unnecessary commitments… you tell me the issue… very openly”

Finally, with this “Dhamki” of backing off my manager assigned 2 lateral resources… one 8 year experienced guy from Cap Gemini … and other 4 year experienced from my very old LnT gang…. Phew…now I can apply for some leaves… my aim accomplished ;) … and my team will also not spend late nights in office anymore….

C’mon yaaronn… I was waiting for this month end for my long long vacations… dec is the time normally when I take this long leaves but then my Teradata Certification didn’t let me do that too… and now this project… life naam ki cheez hai ki nahi …

My friends in office said ,

“Yaar rashmi, only u could just be this straight forward with the manager…. We cant just go and tell the managers all this… esp when it comes to resource requirement…” I told them… “Bolna seekho…. Think what worse can happen… be prepared for the same and say what you think is right”

On my way back home with my manager I did apologize for being a little blunt though.. all she said was… “I Understand … you just said what was getting too much for you to take… so just relax… I am ok with the meeting we had today"… ( Thought to myself...phew…apprisal time main I did try a big time stunt as always again today... I wont be surprised if i get less hike this year ;) )

So finally Saturday arrived… I watched the movie “No one killed Jessica” … mann what a movie… indeed the most wrong time to watch such a heavy movie when I should have caught some Jim Carry movie… But I could just relate to Rani Mukherjee in the movie… mann that lady’s role was simply awesome…

I love one of the dialogue in the movie she says, “ If Mumbai is about money, then Delhi is about Power… here everybody is a somebody…nobody is a nobody”…. True naa…

Sunday morning arrived… Bros bday btw guys… Happy Happy walla birthday… yeah he is getting old now.. 29 mann.. told him shaadi kar le… mere bharoose rahega tho ho gayi teri shaadii… ;) … ok ok back to the topic…

At times some things get you to halt… and “Think”… Yeah yeah thinking has been the hallmark of my existence since childhood… many would argue saying thinking has always been my hobby… my best pastime you can say… right… you are right… But very few things get me to think all day… and this incident just transformed me into a zombie for a while…

Today I conversed with a friend of mine… well not right to call a friend… just an acquaintance you can say… While conversing he mentioned that he is strong (Emotionally) … Me as always sarcastically told him that situations prove one is strong or weak…

He didn’t say anything to that… then we started discussing about his family.. to that he said,

“My dad died in 2002 in a car accident… my elder bro is suffering from “Schizophrenia” … which is a kind of mental disorder… he stays with my mom... they are my responsibility…maybe because of this I am still unwed till I have striked the age of 32”..

I was shocked to listen to what he had to say… he is currently in US since 5 years now… I always thought “Isske life main kya problem ho sakta hai” … and when I heard about his life all I told him was, “You are indeed strong” … he smiled and replied “I am just trying to be” …

All day I was thinking about the fact we crib about our problems… our work… even though our life is so steady… at times our vision is so very restricted to our own problems that we think everybody else is living oh so soothing life…

Never take anything too seriously… esp your work… its not worth it… so dude… tomm I have a list of things to do at work…

1. Apply for my vacations
2. Give KT to my new team members
3. Reduce the freq of daily client calls

If the client still does not understand that we are humans working in India not machines … then….

4. Back off from the project… ;)

No more work tensions anymore I promise… I called my few friends who were desperately trying to reach me since 2 weeks now… most of my friends rely on me when it comes to taking major decisions… well I am the “Agony Aunt”…. Cant help it… (yeh yeh you might think I am the one who needs help, how can I be a mentor to others) … But apun main bhi talent hai boss… aiwe hii engineer nahi bane hai... I know my examples at times are just zabardast… goshh u are right…. I indeed need help ;)

__________________________Rashmi(16th January,2011)

PS : Title of this blog has nothing to do with the content of this blog... mujhe pata tha title padhke aap log ye blog jarur padhoge .. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment